Welcome to another post in the series, “What I Own” where I share a sneak peek into what I (and my family) currently own. I don’t do this so I can say, “Nah nah nah boo boo, I own less than you do!” But rather because I hope to encourage you by showing you that it is possible to live with less; even when you have a family. You can look great and have a minimalist makeup collection at the same time.
Today I present to you, my personal minimalist makeup collection.
What I Own: Minimalist Makeup[social_warfare]
Many minimalists prefer the “natural” look and choose to forgo makeup altogether. I am not one of them. When asked by one of my children why I wear makeup when I go out in public (after all, to them I am beautiful without it), my reply is, “Because I don’t want to frighten people, sweetie.” It’s true, I am not afraid to admit I like the way I look in makeup.
However, in keeping with my minimalist lifestyle, I only own a few makeup products, and I use them up before replacing them. Here’s a closer view of what I own.
- Maybelline Cover Stick. I love this product and have used it for years. The stick feature allows you to apply the concealer without getting your fingers messy. It also provides excellent coverage without looking “cakey”.
- Mary Kay CC Cream. I only recently began using Mary Kay makeup, and so far, so good. I like this foundation for light/medium skin because it contains sunscreen. It covers well and feels so light that I often forget I am wearing it.
- Mary Kay Sheer Mineral Pressed Powder. I wear beige #1. Again, excellent lightweight coverage. Helps to keep the shine down.
Eyes & Cheeks
You may notice a bit of a Mary Kay trend in my minimalist makeup…
- At the moment, I have stocked my palette with the following Mary Kay Mineral Eye colors: Honey Spice, Sweet Plum, Truffle, and Chocolate Kiss. (Sounds good enough to eat!)
- I started wearing blush for the first time last month. I can’t believe I went so long without it. My cheeks are naturally rosy, so I thought there was no need for blush. But, I was wrong. I have been using Mary Kay Sunny Spice blush and it helps even out my rosy cheeks so I no longer have that “sunburned” look.
- Cover Girl Ink It Eyeliner. I used the Copper color throughout the Fall/Winter and have switched to Violet for Spring.
- Maybelline Expert Wear Eyebrow Pencil in Blonde. Again, this something I only recently discovered. Where have I been? I have light/fine eyebrows and this inexpensive little pencil makes them “pop”.
- Cover Girl Professional Waterproof Mascara in black. I tried switching to the Mary Kay mascara, however, it made my eyes itch like crazy. This is the only mascara I have found that does not irritate my eyes.
I have to say, the organizer nerd in me LOVES Mary Kay’s magnetic compact cases! As a minimalist who likes to cut down on waste, I appreciate the fact that they are reusable.
- Mary Kay True Dimensions Lip Stick in Mystic Plum. I really enjoy wearing this product during the winter months when I tend to prefer a darker shade. Most likely, I will switch to Mary Kay’s NouriShine Lip Gloss for Spring.
- Rimmel Stay Glossy lip gloss to add a little extra shine when I want it.
Can I just say again, Mary Kay’s magnetic compact cases are truly genius! My (Mary Kay) lipstick fits right into the case along with my eyeshadow and blush. Super organized!
Can you guess what I use to clean my face and remove makeup? Well, up until a couple of months ago, I used plain old soap and water. You can’t get more minimalist than that!
- Then I switched to Mary Kay Timewise 3-in-1 Cleanser and Age-Fighting Moisturizer (I’m over 40) because my Mary Kay consultant almost fell over dead when I told her my beauty routine. She promised I would love these products (or I could return them). I hate to say it, but she was right. I already notice my skin is softer and smoother after only using the products for a couple of months.
- Mary Kay oil-free makeup remover. This stuff is tough! Just a little bit on a cotton ball wipes away my (hard to remove) waterproof mascara.
I also use this easy-peasy super durable makeup bag to transport my goods. I can’t link to it because it is discontinued, but here’s a photo:
This little pouch is compact (it measures 7″ X 5″), fits all of my makeup, AND it’s machine washable!
So, what do you think? Is my minimalist makeup too much? Too little? Well, it feels just right for me! By the way, I included the links in case you are visual (like me). If you choose to purchase something through one of these links, I will earn a small commission on the sale. You will, however, pay the same amount you would have paid without the link. Win-win!
How about you? What’s in your makeup bag?