Baseboards are often neglected during home cleaning, despite their vital role in maintaining cleanliness and appearance. In 2016, my husband and I purchased our first home. During our home search, our realtor advised us that the first thing she examines when entering a home is how well the baseboards, blinds, and ceiling fans have been maintained. If these areas have been neglected, likely, the rest of the house has too. Accumulated dust, dirt, and scuff marks can detract from the beauty of our living spaces. However, with the right techniques and hacks, keeping your baseboards clean can be effortless. This guide will explore 10 genius baseboard cleaning hacks to help you achieve a cleaner, fresher home.
What is baseboard cleaning?
Baseboards, which are also called skirting boards or mopboards, are narrow panels made of wood or plastic that run along the bottom of interior walls. They serve a practical as well as an aesthetic purpose by covering the joint between the wall and the floor, while also adding a finishing touch to the room. However, due to their low position, baseboards are prone to collecting dust, dirt, and scuff marks, making it important to clean them regularly.
How To Clean Baseboards:
Start by removing any loose dust and debris using a dry microfiber cloth or a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment that has soft bristles. Simply run the cloth or vacuum along the surface of the baseboards to pick up dirt and dust particles.
Removing Scuffs & Marks:
For stubborn scuff marks or stains, a gentle cleaning solution can work wonders. Mix warm water with a small amount of mild dish soap or vinegar. Dip a sponge or cloth into the solution, wring out any excess liquid, and gently scrub the affected areas. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners, as these can damage the finish of the baseboards.
How To Dust Or Vacuum Baseboards:
Regular dusting or vacuuming is key to preventing the buildup of dirt and dust on your baseboards. Use a microfiber duster or a vacuum cleaner with a soft brush attachment to remove dust from the surface of the baseboards. Work your way around the room, paying attention to any areas that may accumulate more dust, such as behind furniture or in high-traffic areas.
How To Wash Your Baseboards:
When it’s time for a deeper clean, washing your baseboards can help restore their original shine. Fill a bucket with warm water and a few drops of mild dish soap or vinegar. Dip a clean sponge or cloth into the soapy water, wring out any excess liquid, and gently wash the baseboards, working in small sections. Be sure to rinse your sponge or cleaning cloth frequently and change the water as needed to avoid spreading dirt around.
Ways To Remove Scuffs & Marks That Accumulate With Time:
Over time, baseboards can accumulate scuff marks and stains from everyday wear and tear. Fortunately, there are several simple hacks for removing these unsightly blemishes:
- Baking Soda Paste: Mix baking soda with a small amount of water to create a paste. Apply the paste to the scuff marks and gently scrub with a soft brush or cloth. The abrasive nature of the baking soda helps lift stains without damaging the baseboards. Pro Tip: Cotton swabs are multifunctional! They can be used to help clean your makeup or apply your baking soda paste on one to wash those hard-to-clean joints and corners!
- Magic Eraser: Magic erasers are highly effective at removing scuff marks and stains from a variety of surfaces, including baseboards. Simply dampen the magic eraser with water and gently rub it over the affected areas until the stains disappear.
How do you clean baseboards without kneeling?
Cleaning baseboards can be a daunting task, especially if you have mobility issues or find kneeling uncomfortable. Fortunately, there are tools and gadgets available that make the job easier:
- Clean Baseboard Buddy: The Clean Baseboard Buddy can be a great assistant to washing your baseboards. It is a specially designed cleaning tool that allows you to clean baseboards without kneeling or bending over. Its adjustable handle and swivel head make it easy to reach baseboards in hard-to-reach areas, like behind your toilets, while the microfiber pads trap dust and dirt for a thorough clean.
How often should you wash baseboards?
The frequency of baseboard cleaning will depend on factors such as the amount of foot traffic in your home and whether you have pets or small children. As a general rule, aim to dust or vacuum your baseboards once a week to remove surface dirt and dust. For a deeper clean, wash your baseboards every 1-2 months or as needed to keep them looking their best.
How do you make baseboards look new?
To restore the appearance of your baseboards and make them look like new, follow these tips:
- Touch-up paint: If your baseboards are painted, touch up any chips or scratches with a matching paint color to restore their appearance.
- Apply furniture polish: Once your baseboards are clean and dry, apply a small amount of furniture polish to add shine and protect the surface from dust and dirt.
- Use a steam cleaner: Steam cleaners are an effective tool for removing dirt and grime from baseboards, leaving them looking fresh and clean.
With these 10 genius baseboard cleaning hacks, achieving a cleaner, fresher home has never been easier. From simple dusting and vacuuming to gentle washing and stain removal, maintaining your baseboards doesn’t have to be a chore. Incorporate these hacks into your cleaning routine, and enjoy the beauty of polished baseboards in your living space.
Baseboards may not be the star of your home, but they play a crucial role in adding the finishing touch to your interior décor. Over time, they can accumulate dust, grime, and even scuff marks, making your whole room appear unkempt. Fear not! In this blog post, I’ll share 10 cleaning hacks to help you achieve spotless baseboards effortlessly. Say goodbye to dingy baseboards and hello to a cleaner, fresher home.
Check out this carefully curated shopping list I’ve assembled! Discover the same quality items I enjoy using!
- Vacuum cleaner
- Microfiber cloth
- All-purpose cleaner
- Baseboard Buddy
- Magic eraser
- Melamine sponge
- White vinegar
MORE ABOUT HOME ORGANIZATION & CLEANING:
- Transform Your Space: 9 Essential New Year’s Steps for a Clutter-Free and Organized Home
- Your Guide to Laundry Stripping: Revive Your Clothes with Deep Cleaning
- The 7 Best Daily Cleaning Routines
« Creating Your Dream At-Home Coffee Bar: Style, Organization, and Essentials
» Sourdough Baking Bliss: Organizing Your Kitchen for Success